Friday, December 07, 2007

scrooges and grinches

[Yesterday, several readers outclicked to the Heifer International site. Good for you! And, I hope, good for Heifer International. Really, that made my day, that a few people took the time to go and see what they're about. And I hope lots of people read the other Holidailies charity posts. They were awesome and I find it cheering to hear about the good causes that other people hold near and dear to their hearts.]

I have trouble processing calling people Scrooges and Grinches. Yeah, I know what someone means when they label a person one of those terms, but I always have a profound disconnect. Mostly, because I think that the real message of "A Christmas Carol" and "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" is about change and redemption. Shouldn't we really mean that a Scrooge is someone filled with the holiday spirit and goodness toward humanity? It seems to me that the true meaning of the Grinch isn't, "...that his heart was two sizes too small..." but rather, "...his heart grew three sizes that day." But, I guess people focus on the negative.

I always think, for a moment, when I hear, "She's a real Scrooge!" or "He's such a Grinch!" that the person in question is wonderful and has been changed and redeemed. I don't know, maybe it's just my Pollyanna positive side peeking through. I'm sure it will never catch on.

No comments: