Friday, April 07, 2006

thank god she's smarter than that dummy in the red cape

Whee. What a busy day. I'm surfing, listening to/watching the Cubs home opener, and also trying to play with Charlotte. (Why won't she just let me peacefully veg out in front of a baseball game? Why? Oh, yeah -- she's 4.) Today's play is to act out Little Red Riding Hood. We keep coming up against the fact that Cha is obviously much smarter than Red.

ChaCha: Lalalala.
Me (as the Big Bad Wolf): Hello, little girl. Where are you going?
ChaCha: I'm not talkin' to you -- you're a strange wolf!

Heh. So, we decide to cut straight to the big bedroom meeting.

ChaCha: Grandma, what big eyes you have!
Me: The better to see you with my dear!
ChaCha: I'm scared and going home!

So we're not so much acting out the fairy tale as giving it the new twist with a modern-day preschooler. I couldn't help but be reminded of the modified version of Red by James Thurber. It's the old story, but when the Big Bad declares he's going to eat Red, she pulls out a gun and shoots him dead. The moral? "It is not so easy to fool little girls nowadays as it used to be."

I guess now I can't even fool my own into acting the story out.

No comments: