Wednesday, October 12, 2005

five songs...

...I know all the words to:

"American Pie"
"Baby Mine"
"Rock Lobster"
"The Battle of New Orleans"

And, because it kills my husband (in a good way, I think) I know every lyric to Pink Floyd's "The Wall". Not the song -- the entire album. Right after we were married, Archie put on the CD of the Berlin Wall performance. I was folding laundry and singing along. We were about halfway through, when Archie paused the CD and asked, "Do you know all the words? To the entire thing?"

"Yeah. Duh!"

"Kate, why? Pink Floyd is such a guy thing!"

"Remember, I have four brothers. And most of my friends in college were guys. I think I heard this album, conservatively estimated, once a day for about six years. Also, lots of The Who. But some song or another from this was always being played within my hearing about every day."

"Do you like it?"

"Well, like probably every 14 or 15 year old, I thought it was brilliant and speaking just to me -- an ordinary, well-adjusted teenage girl in Ohio. By the time I was 18 or 19, while I still appreciated the music and lyrics and performances of a lot of the songs, it began to seem like the biggest extended whine in all of rock music. Especially when I realized that Waters was a grown man in his 30s when he composed it. Jesus Christ, dude! Grow up and stop spitting in fans' faces and try to move on."

For the next week or so, Archie told all of his friends about how I knew all the lyrics to "The Wall". Every guy was shocked. I found it all amusing.

No comments: