Friday, October 03, 2008

the pain

Man, that was extraordinarily painful. Like, I still have a little bit of a stomachache painful.

One of our neighbors was outside this afternoon as I walked to go pick Cha up from school. He knows of my Cubs love. He said, "Wow. The Cubs didn't look good last night." And because I have also lost any ability to engage in small talk about this particular subject, I replied, "Didn't look good? That was embarrassing. I almost cried. I'm trying to remain hopeful, but it's taking a lot of energy to do that. Like, I could use a nuclear reactor to manufacture some hope right now."

Yeah, I know. It's sad that I'm so invested in this, but what can I say? It's a lifetime relationship. The thing that makes it really, really horrible is that I don't know what happened. The team looked so good for the entire season and now it's like there are a bunch of imposters on the field.

It's only baseball. But, then again, it's baseball.

On to Saturday and L.A.

No comments: