Saturday, January 20, 2007

when will the injustice end?

I was loading the dishwasher on Friday and had "The View" on the TV in the family room. I heard Elisabeth and Rosie say they were making Buckeyes. Oh, Buckeyes. These are delicious sweets that consist of peanut butter balls coated in chocolate. They are so tasty and just about any school party featured a tray of them made by some classmate's mom and gorged upon by the kids. I have made them in Arizona and taken them to gatherings here in California where they are relatively unknown (or known by other Ohio transplants) to great acclaim. They're easy and fun to make. I was tickled that they were being made on a national TV show.

Except they were made all wrong. Oh, so wrong. The peanut butter balls should be peanut butter, melted butter, and confectioner's sugar. Elisabeth added Rice Krispies. Mistake number one. But, that error paled in comparison to what was to come.

Buckeyes are supposed to resemble buckeyes -- a glossy brown nut with a small inner circle of light brown. When made correctly, you coat the peanut butter balls and leave some of that filling peeking out. You know, so it looks like the actual nut. On the show, they just coated the entire thing, which just gives you a chocolate-coated peanut butter ball. Which tastes the same, but doesn't look right.

People, I may have gone completely insane because I almost lost it over a cooking segment on a morning talk show.

Even better though, is that Archie is watching a BBC show where a specific Rush song was mentioned. Then that song was identified by album title and track. Which then prompted Archie to pause the recording and exclaim that the song was on a completely different album and this was a horrible, grievous error.

At least I have some company in my insanity.

2 comments:

Archibald W. Campbell said...

But in my defense, Tommy Saxondale would *have* to know that "The Spirit Of Radio" is on Permanent Waves! For him not to know it was completely out of character!

Why must I be suffered to live, impelled to say these things?

Steveo said...

Buckeyes...Ohhhh I miss the buckeyes peanutbutterychocolate goodness. And Archie you are absolutely correct I thin I woud have gone crazy with the lack of Rush knowlege.

Steveo