Thursday, January 05, 2006

conversations

While waiting at the dentist's, Charlotte and I were perusing the Scientific American. She pointed to an illustration of DNA.

"What's that?"
"That's DNA. A double helix. Can you say deoxyribonucleic acid?"
"Dee-oxee-riiibo-new-cley-ic acid!"

Later, as I was having a filling finished up, I heard the dentist asking Cha if deoxyribonucleic acid was her favorite word.

"No. Fart is my favorite word."

*****

There was an article in the magazine about studies with rats and that the hormones of pregnancy, birth, and lactation not only influence mothering patterns, but that they also have an effect on the intelligence of mothers. Being a mother (at least, if you're a rat) makes you smarter. Seriously. The mother rats did better on mazes!

"Archie, listen to this: When mother rats are offered a choice of cocaine or their pups, they choose the pups. Babies are a drug!"
"Mmm hmm."
"At least, rat pups are a drug."

Later in the evening, I brought up that conversation. (Was it a conversation? Maybe it was just me talking.)

"Hey, remember when I told you babies were a drug?"
(Archie pauses the DVD player and turns to me. I'm bad for interrupting "Network".)
"Yes."
"That reminds me of that old Robin Williams bit about how having a baby is like doing drugs. You know, you're awake for days..."
"Yeah. You're paranoid and covered in bodily fluids."
"Yeah! And think about it -- they both cost lots of money."
"Are you done?"
"Yeah."

Maybe motherhood making you smarter really does only apply to rats.

No comments: